An electric car is an automobile that is propelled by one or more electric motors, using electrical energy stored in rechargeable batteries. The first practical electric cars were produced in the 1880s.
Like solar-powered homes, solar cars harness energy from the sun by converting it into electricity. This electricity fuels the battery that operates the car's motor. Instead of using a battery, some solar cars direct the power straight to an electric motor.
Solar cars use photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into energy. Photovoltaic cells are the components in solar panels that convert the sun's energy to electricity. They're made up of semiconductors, usually silicon, that absorb the light. The sun's energy frees electrons in the semiconductors, creating a flow of electrons. That current generates electricity that powers the battery and the specialised motor in solar cars.
Benefits of Electric/Solar powered cars
1. The solar panels are quiet and are great to diminish noise pollution.
2. No Emission-Solar panels don't generate greenhouse gases, as gasoline engines do.
3. Preservation of Natural Resources
4. Most important, solar energy is free, widely available, and grants the solar car driver complete independence from foreign oil.
5. Saves MONEY- Global warming is projected to cost society trillions of dollars if left unabated.